What Matters Now: 2017 Canvass
UUCR’s Annual Canvass
What is the Canvass?
What Matters Now
The canvass theme for 2017 is “What Matters Now.” Many of us have been deeply disturbed by the events of the past few months and are eager to take action to defend civil rights and women’s reproductive rights, to protect dreamers and refugees from violence, to defend the democratic process and stand up for those without the power to do so for themselves.
Our theme recognizes our shared need to review and renew our commitment to projecting our UU values into a world that sometimes leaves us puzzled, shaken, and doubtful about the direction of our society. With that in mind, our vision for this year’s canvass is to:
Project our values into the world through high-visibility social justice programming.
Develop the next generation of leaders through inspiring religious education programming.
Sustain the continuing work of our ministry team to provide the services, care, and spiritual guidance needed to build our Beloved Community.
We hope you will join us in making this vision a reality.
Why Should I Pledge?
Your financial support enables UUCR to engage in all the services and activities that sustain our community.
- We grow spiritually with year-round worship, sermons that challenge and inspire, music from and for our hearts, and our meditation and ministry groups.
- We build community. From quilters and crafters to spirituality and young adult groups to Small Group Ministry, UUCR is a place to welcome newcomers, find friends, have fun, and grow together. We care for each other, provide support in times of need, and rejoice in our shared community.
- We care for our congregational home, which requires heat, electricity, cleaning, maintenance, repairs, and upgrades.
- We teach our children and youth in lively Religious Education programs and expand our horizons with a stimulating Adult Faith Formation program.
- We build social responsibility through support for advocacy for social change in areas such as racial justice, immigration, and the environment. We support programs for the homeless, at-risk children, a community health clinic, and rainbow teens.
- We gain from the perspectives and experiences of our ministers.
- We support the environment by reducing our energy use, working for environmental justice, and educating our congregation on “green living” options.
- We support national and regional organizations that give voice to our UU principles.
- We provide for an exceptional staff. Our wonderful minister, assistant minister, religious education director, music director, pianist, church administrator, communications and membership director, and administrative assistant enrich our lives and support the work of this congregation.
How Do I Pledge?
This year, Pledge Sunday will be on March 5. During this special worship service, all members and friends who attend will be invited to complete a pledge card. If you are unable to attend on March 5, you can also pledge online (after March 5).
Throughout February and March, you will be able to learn more about the 2017 Canvass by visiting the canvass table in the entrance corridor on Sundays. After Pledge Sunday you can also stop by the table to complete a pledge card if you haven’t already done so.
How Much Should I Pledge?
Our canvass goal for fiscal year 2017-18 is $601,923, an 8.4 percent increase over last year. This increase is needed to offset declines in several revenue streams that have put pressure on our budget. Chief among these is the end of the special gift of $10,000 a year to support an assistant minister—a gift that allowed us to bring Rev. Montgomery onto our staff. To keep her, we need your help. It matters now. In addition, social action, which has a long history at UUCR, is expected to expand in the next year. These things matter now.
To ensure that we meet that goal, if you are already a pledging member, we ask you to consider increasing your pledge by 10 percent to help us meet that goal.
If this is your first time pledging and you don't know where to start:
- Visit the UUA Fair Share Giving Guide
- Consider pledging 3 to 5% of your income
- UUCR members pledged an average of $2,360 for fiscal year 2016-17.
Pledging, like any commitment, is a personal expression of your values. Please consider thoughtfully and make the most generous pledge possible for your family situation. Please consider what UUCR contributes to you, your family, your friends, and your community.
How and When Do I Pay My Pledge?
Your pledge card will ask you to choose to fulfill your pledge in a single payment or multiple payments (monthly or quarterly, for example). All pledge payments should be made before June 30, 2018.
Checks can be mailed to UUCR (100 Welsh Park Drive, Rockville, MD 20850), placed in the offering basket during Sunday morning services, or placed in the deposit slot in the wall of the Building 1 hallway (across from the copier workroom/quiet sitting area). Whichever method you choose, please put “pledge” in the memo line of your check to ensure it is properly credited against your pledge.
Pledges can also be paid through direct debit. To make a one-time payment or to set up a regular monthly payment from your checking or savings account, simply click here. To learn more or to request assistance in setting up your direct debit, please contact UUCR Assistant Treasurer, Eric Burch.
Later this spring, pledgers will receive quarterly statements from the UUCR Assistant Treasurer that show your commitment for UUCR's next fiscal year.
If you have any questions or suggestions, please send them via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Canvass Co-Chairs: Nancy Blum and Bill Hurlbut
Support & Follow UUCR...