—> Church Life
—> Planned Giving
—> Planned Giving Options
Choose the Gift Option that matches your goal to support Unitarian Universalism
Create a Legacy of Hope - Savor the Joy of Giving
If your goal is to:
- Make a quick and easy gift
- Action Required--write a check
- Benefits—a charitable income tax deduction and immediate impact on UUCR
- Avoid tax on capital gains
- Action Required--contribute highly appreciated assets owned for more than a year,
such as stock, real estate or mutual funds.
- Benefits—a charitable deduction for the full market value and no capital gains tax.
- Keep financial options open during your lifetime
- Action Required--put a bequest in your will (to be funded with cash, IRA benefits,
specific property or a share of your residuary estate)
- Benefits--a taxable estate reduced by one dollar for every dollar donated.
- Protect assets and financial flexibility
- Action Required--transfer assets to a revocable trust and name UUCR as final
- Benefits--full control of the trust and its terms, a reduced taxable estate and no
public probate of trust.
- Secure a fixed, guaranteed income for the rest of your life
- Action Required--give cash or stock to fund a UUA charitable gift annuity
- Benefits--a charitable deduction, some tax-free income and no market risks.
- Diversify portfolio, avoid capital gains and boost income
- Action Required--Create a UUA charitable remainder trust ($100,000 and above)
that makes payments to you and your love ones.
- Benefits--a fixed or variable income for the rest of your life, a charitable
deduction and a reduced estate.
- Protect estate from high taxes due on IRA, 403(b) or pension plan
- Action Required--name UUCR as beneficiary of all or portion of the plan assets
remaining after your lifetime.
- Benefits--reduced estate and income taxes on loved ones’ inheritance.
- Avoid capital gains tax on the sale of a home or other real estate.
- Action Required--give the property to UUCR or transfer it to a charitable unitrust.
- Benefits--a charitable deduction, a reduced estate, plus no capital gains tax.
- Create a hedge against inflation over the long term
- Action Required--donate stock or cash to the UUA pooled income fund or fund a
charitable remainder unitrust.
- Benefits--a variable income that may grow over time as the value of the gift grows,
a charitable deduction and no capital gains tax.
*Based on information in UUA Pathway to a Legacy. The UUCR Planned Giving Committee recommends that you check with your financial and/or legal advisers and the UUA Office of Charitable Gift and Estate Planning regarding a UUA charitable gift annuity, remainder trust or unitrust and pooled life income funds. Several UUA brochures are available.
More Planned Giving Information
Last updated January 12, 2006 by the